FUN STARTS HERE. - Welcome to Maharashtra's West Coast!
ALIBAUG TOURISM GUIDE
Discovering the Town of the Sea;
The Town of the Hosts
What is Alibaug
Alibag is a coastal town and a Taluka in Raigad District in the Konkan region of Maharashtra, India. It is also the headquarters of the Raigad district.
Alibag was developed in the 17th century by Sarkhel Kanhoji Aangre the naval chief of King Shivaji's Kingdom. A Bene Israelite named Ali used to live there at that time . He was a rich man and owned many plantations of mangoes and coconuts in his gardens. Hence the locals used to call the place "Alichi Bagh"(Marathi for "Gardens of Ali"), or simply "Alibag", and the name stuck.
Rewdanda, Chaul, Nagon, Akshi, Varsoli,Thal, Kihim and Aawas villages were known as "Ashtagare" in the past.
Alibag and its surrounding villages are the historic hinterland of Bene Israeli Jews. There is a synagogue in the "Israel Ali" (Marathi- इस्राएल आळी meaning Israel lane) area of the town
Alibag also houses a Magnetic Observatory which was set up in 1904. It serves as one of the significant observatories forming part of a global network now run by Indian Institute of Geomagnetism.
10 Reasons Why You Should Go to Alibaug
1. CULTURE: Konkan starts here, with characteristic and surprising sights, cultural treasures, and a beautiful setting that make it a paradise for walkers and photographers.
2. VALUE: It's one of Maharashtra's best values -- officially Western Coast's least expensive town.
3. LOCATION: It's the closest beach destination to the Pune and Mumbai, just around a 3-hour drive.
4. CLIMATE: Its mild climate makes it an ideal year-round destination. Even in summer, when most other places are tremendously hot, in Alibaug, temperatures rarely go above 35C.
5. RESORT: It is located so close to sandy beaches, enabling visitors to combine culture with fun by the sea.
6. SIZE: It's a compact and intimate city, ideal for a short city break or a longer romantic stay.
7. VARIETY: Its surroundings offer an incredible variety of tourist attractions, from beaches, temples to historical forts.
8. GATEWAY: It makes a perfect base to explore many of Alibaug's most outstanding beaches and villages.
9. SAFETY: It's one of the safest place.
10. WELCOMING: It's a friendly town to all visitors and families with children.